A colourful and aromatic conifer, the delightfully festive lemon cypress livens up a room with its bright yellow foliage, which carries a fresh lemony scent as well. Actually a selection of the Monterey cypress native to coastal California, it has seen a rise in popularity in recent years as a holiday plant, and looks fantastic combined with holiday décor.
The dense, conical growth habit of the lemon cypress makes it attractive as a houseplant or part of an arrangement at other times of the year as well. Given proper care, the lemon cypress can become a permanent fixture.
- Place in a bright area indoors, preferably in a west or south window
- Does best if allowed to spend the summer outdoors (do not place in full sun immediately after moving from indoors)
- Keep away from draughts and heat register
- Misting the foliage is beneficial
- Allow the soil to dry partially between watering
- Do not allow the soil to dry out completely, or sit in water
- Fertilize occasionally with 30-10-10 during the spring and summer months